SAARC Energy Centre, Islamabad has organized a successfully Video Conference on “Roadmap for the Implementation of SAARC Framework Agreement on Energy Cooperation (Electricity)” on Tuesday, 22 September, 2020 from 1100-1430 hrs Pakistan Standard Time (PKT).
Recognizing the importance of electricity in promoting economic growth and improving the quality of life, “SAARC Framework Agreement for Energy Cooperation (Electricity)” was signed in 2014. Adoption of this agreement is a crucial step towards a SAARC Market for Electricity on a regional basis. The key objectives of this agreement are to improve power availability in the entire region and facilitate integrated operation of the regional power grid.
The Agreement contains broad-ranging provisions:
- Non-discriminatory access to transmission
- Market-based pricing of electricity exchanged, and
- Establishment of the body for coordination regional power integration and trade
The motive is to allow cross-border trade of electricity among the South Asian countries. Progress has been made in developing bilateral electricity interconnection among some of the SAARC member states however regional interconnection is yet to be established.
SEC, under its thematic area of “Program on Energy Trade between SAARC countries” (PENT), is organizing a video conference on “Roadmap for the implementation of SAARC Framework Agreement on Energy Cooperation (Electricity)”.
The scheduled conference will be a one-day activity and will consist of presentations / talks from experts from the SAARC region as well as outside SAARC region experts to share their experience on such regional energy frameworks. This target audience for this event will be government officials from relevant ministries, policy makers, professionals working in the power sector, and academia from SAARC member states.
The Report, concept paper, Final agenda, and the presentations delivered during the video conference are available at the links mentioned below:
- To Download the Report of the Video Conference, Click Here
- To Download the Concept Paper of the Video Conference, Click Here
- To Download the Final Agenda of the Video Conference, Click Here
Presentation During Video Conference
- “Roadmap for the Implementation of SAARC Framework Agreement on Energy Cooperation (Electricity)” by Mr. Jiwan Sharma, Asian Development Bank; Mr. Subhrajit Datta Ray and Mr. Sambit Kumar Dash, Pricewaterhouse Coopers Pvt. Ltd. India, Click Here
- “Deepening Power System Integration & Cross Border Electricity Trade in SAARC Region: Current Status & Future Outlook”, by Mr. Rajiv Ratna Panda, USAID South Asia Regional Initiative for Energy Integration (SARI/EI), Click Here
- “Competitive Wholesale Electricity Market in Pakistan”, by Mr. Abrar Hussain, Central Power Purchasing Agency (CPPA-G) Pakistan, Click Here